------art_70737_24501007.1147817281343

Not to add fuel to the fire... but...

On 5/16/06, Paul Battley <pbattley / gmail.com> wrote:

> I try not to call it theft either. Whilst some people equate copyright
> infringement with theft, they are substantively and legally different.
> Whether they are morally equivalent is a different matter, though.
> Confusing the vocabulary doesn't help to advance the debate.

There's significant jail time in a federal prison as well as up to $250K per
incident for copyright infringment.  This compares with little or no jail
time for petty theft... stealing a book off a shelf.  So, you are correct
that the law takes a different view of violating Intellectual Property
rights and petty theft.  The law views violations of IP rights (e.g.,
illegally sharing the PDF of a book) as much worse offenses.

I see no debate about flagrantly violating the law by illegally distributing
the PDF of David's book.  While there might be a fair use justification for
emailing a friend a copy so he/she can evaluate it before buying it, there's
no legal justification for putting the PDF on a P2P system.  Such actions
are violations of the law and deprive an author of earning a legitimate fee
for a valuable offering.

If you don't like the price for the PDF don't buy it.  It works the same way
for a virtual good as it does for a physical good.

--
--------
David Pollak's Ruby Playground

------art_70737_24501007.1147817281343--