On 5/16/06, Michael Greenly <mgreenly / gmail.com> wrote:
> Bill Kelly wrote:
> > From: "Michael Greenly" <mgreenly / gmail.com>
> >> It's unethical to artificially limit a resource simply so that you can
> >> profit.
> >
> > How do you make money?  If you're a programmer, you're a resource.
> > I need some code written.  I expect you to write it for me for $3 per
> > hour,
> > thanks.  It's unethical to artifically limit the coding resources you
> > could
> > provide me simply so you can make a profit.
>
> Charging what the market will bear is simply fair, assuming you're free
> to buy from who you want and I'm free to sell to who I can.

Then why is is "unethical" for the author of the book to charge what
the market will bear? Why is it not "simply fair" then? Maybe your
argument is that the only price the market will bear for PDF e-books
is free, but that doesn't preclude the author's right and prerogative
to charge more than that. If the market doesn't bear the author's
asking price, then it's the author's loss in that he doesn't make
sales. This doesn't give the "market" the right to take his material
and force it to be "sold" at a lower price.

Jacob Fugal