------art_49128_17805326.1147807895650

> i'm afraid this doesn't fly in the open-source world.  if you are given to
> then you are ethically bound to give to others what you can.  paying it
> forward is how the open-source world works.  david wrote a book.  he's
> ethically bound to give back.  fortunately for all of us he does so in
> many
> ways, not least of which by providing sample chapters and countless
> answers on
> this list.  nevertheless, it's a short sighted view to say that people
> using
> freely given things should not, themselves, be ethically bound to give
> back in
> whatever way they can.

I didn't say that. Reading my initial comment it came out harser then it
should have but its still true. When someone uses open source they are bound
to contribute back. How they contribute is up to them NOT the community.
What your saying would be akin to "because he uses <open source software pkg
here> we get to take his stuff after all its only fair". He does contribute
and my statement is still valid. Just because someone uses opensource
software does NOT mean they obligated to never make profit from any IP work
or that they should be ok with others leaching off of the work they have
done for profit.

------art_49128_17805326.1147807895650--