------art_25591_12642626.1147799965583

On 5/16/06, Peter Hickman <peter / semantico.com> wrote:

> gwtmp01 / mac.com wrote:
> > Are you arguing that the word 'theft' is reserved to describe the
> > misappropriation of tangible goods and therefore doesn't apply to
> > copyright infringement or are you trying to say that there is some
> > ethical difference between the two situations?  I'm confused.
> >
> > Gary Wright
> >
> Theft: If I steal the shirt off your back you no longer have a shirt.
> Copyright infringement: If I steal the design of the shirt on you back
> you still have a shirt.
>
> There is a difference and the case law to support it.

Ah, but in this case, they were not stealing the *design*, they were
stealing a *product*, i.e., the pdf.  While the pdf may be electronic, it is
nevertheless a physical product - it is not just the idea or design, as
would be the case in pure copyright violation. If on the other hand they
retyped the book word for word, they would be violating copyright, as you
say. I happen to be from the music industry. If someone copies a segment of
one of my compositions and reproduces it in their work, they are violating
my copyright. If on the other hand they take a copy of my recording, either
by removing a CD from a store without purchasing it, or by downloading it
from a network without paying for it, they are stealing.

------art_25591_12642626.1147799965583--