gwtmp01 / mac.com wrote:

> On May 16, 2006, at 5:21 AM, Kev Jackson wrote:
>> I live in the developing world, and the fact is that there are no
>> bookstores that carry Prag Prog titles here - they simply cost too
>> much for the bookstores to carry.  Sadly this means that most
>> developers here don't even think about spending 25-50% of their
>> monthly salary on a book when they can download a pdf from a p2p network.
>
> I don't get this attitude at all.  Either pay the asking price or forgo
> the use of the book.  It is really that simple.  Otherwise you are
> taking the work of another without any compensation.  I don't see how
> your location or income changes the ethics of the situation.
>
> Gary Wright

Well, if you were living in a home made of dirt walls where the average
wage was $50 a month, then maybe you would "get it."  These books are
priced for your and my paychecks, not those of the vast majority of
people in the world who can not afford to let their families starve
while they try to raise themselves out of poverty by learning new
skills.  Luckily many publishers do get it, which is why they offer
cheaper versions of their books.

Put it in perspective by adjusting for your own purchasing power.  If
each book you purchased cost $10,000, how much do you think you would
learn about programming?  Would you think the price was fair
compensation?  If your families dinner table reflected your ability to
gain new skills would you think twice about downloading from the net?
Probably not.

-Jeff