On 5/11/06, Angelo <angelogladding / gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm very new to Ruby and am desperately trying to figure out what seems
> to be a fairly simple script.  Is there something special I need to know
> in regards to IF statements with Ruby that may differ from most other
> languages?
>
> The structure of the script looks like the following:
>
> for
>
>     if
>
>         if
>
>         else
>
>         end
>
>     elsif
>
>     end
>
>     if
>
>     end
>
> end
>
> It's bugging at the first and only elsif. (syntax error, unexpected
> kELSIF, expecting kEND)

I'm guessing it's actually a problem with your elided (not shown)
code. If I take you structure and add in some simple conditions and
statements, it runs fine:

  for i in (1..10).to_a
    if i > 5
      if i < 8
        puts "i is 6 or 7"
      else
        puts "i is 8, 9 or 19"
      end
    elsif i < 2
      puts "i is 1"
    end
    if (i % 2).zero?
      puts "#{i} is even"

produces:

  i is 1
  2 is even
  4 is even
  i is 6 or 7
  6 is even
  i is 6 or 7
  i is 8, 9 or 19
  8 is even
  i is 8, 9 or 19
  i is 8, 9 or 19
  10 is even

My guess is you have some other construct requiring an 'end' (while
loop, block, etc.) that is missing its 'end' between the first 'end'
(of the nested if) and the 'elsif' in question. Since you're still in
the other construct, the parser is expecting to see that construct
closed (with a kEND token) before seeing the kELSIF token of the
enclosing if statement.

Jacob Fugal