Hi Corey,

> The goal of ruby is to make programming easier and more enjoyable right?
> So isnt it important that a language with that as its goal can express
> simple programs in a simple and intuitive way? I am a begining
> programmer and i find ruby counter intuitive so far and that worries me
> and makes me wonder if i am wasting my time with. I want to learn how to
> write software. Thats the bigger picture i am in right now. Its not
> personal,  I am just trying to get my feet wet here and make sense of
> all this stuff.

Might it be fair to say that it's actually programming that you're
having difficulty with rather than Ruby at this stage? Chris Pine's
tutorial (which I assume you're using) isn't trying to show you how
awesome Ruby is, it's showing you how to program.

There are probably languages that are simpler for a beginner programmer
(probably QBasic if you can get your hands on it), but Chris Pine's
tutorial focusses on basic concepts a few at a time to get you up to
speed. That means leaving out a bunch of what makes Ruby cool. And once
you have mastered the material in Learning to Program, you will already
be far more productive in Ruby than you'd be after similar time on Basic.

Nothing's stopping you from learning more than one language so you can
choose between them and compare them more accurately. Indeed, hardly any
of us ruby-talkers use _only_ Ruby, and I doubt there's anyone who would
recommend it. But you might want to save your judgment at least until
you are a programmer.

Cheers,
Dave