Are you invoking the script as
     myscript.rb ( with ruby being implicitly invoked by .rb )
or as
     ruby myscript.rb
AFAIK, first one will not work, but second one should work.

May be, inside 'system()' call, ruby create the process with
'create-new-console' flag, in which case, this needs to be fixed.

--Vardhan

--
Vardhan Varma <VardhanVarma / yahoo.com> ... till Yahoo is free