Hi, I'm just starting Ruby and theres something I'm sure is very simple
but I just cant get it work. Its an exercise in Chris Pine's tutorial.
The question is:
Write a program which asks for a person's favorite number. Have your
program add one to the number, then suggest the result as a bigger and
better favorite number.

My code:
puts 'What is your favourite number?'
number = gets.chomp
puts 'I think ' +  (number.to_s + 1.to_s) + ' is a better number'

is the only way I can get anything to work but this is adding strings so
2 + 1 becomes 21 which is not the objective.

Of course, I need the answer to be 3.

puts 'What is your favourite number?'
number = gets.chomp
puts 'I think ' +  (number.to_i + 1.to_i) + ' is a better number'

results in this error "cannot convert Fixnum into String (TypeError)"

I've tried lots of other combinations but its not happening for me.
I know its simple but, hey, I have to start somewhere.

Bob