So is the ultimate goal here to write something that will analyze the
results of a large number of campaigns and vary the bidding
automatically to maximize @bang/@buck?

I'm imagining an IDE for making money with adWords/adSense where you
cook up a bunch of web pages for high paying adsense, and then use the
IDE to develop a whole mess of ads for related keywords and then just
let 'er rip.  The IDE would place all of the ad bids in small quantities
while testing away to find the best combinations and then increase the
flow on all profitable campaigns.  This could take ALL of the drudgery
out of testing and spreadsheeting and trying different things.

I smell easy money.  The main problem with something like this is that
you never know when the big 'G' might decide to pull the plug on the
API.  Might do a bunch of work and then have the rug pulled out from
under you.

jp