On 5/10/06, Charlie Bowman <charlie / castlebranch.com> wrote:

> The Rails Plugin is a direct result of the ruby quiz.  I just wanted to
> say thanks to Ruby Quiz and Mathew Ross for his solution.
>

> = numbersToWords - convert your integers and floats to english or
> japaneese words,or translate it into american currency
>
> - This plugin was created from a solution to the ruby quiz (english
> numbers) by Matthew D Moss.  I modified the code to work as a rails
> plugin and added the to_dollars method.
> - the to_dollars method will work with integers and floats
> - the to_english and to_japaneese methods will only work with integers.
> If you have call these methods on a float, it will be converted to an
> integer before translating.
>
> = Examples
> 123.to_english == one hundred and twenty-three
> 123.to_japaneese == hyaku niju san
> 123.to_dollars == one hundred and twenty-three dollars
> money = 123.23
> money.to_dollars == one hundred and twenty-three dollars and
> twenty-three cents
> money = 1.01
> money.to_dollars == one dollar and one cent
>
> = Install script/plugin install
> http://svn.recentrambles.com/plugins/numbersToWords
>

> = Thank You Ruby Quiz and Matthew D Moss

Wow...  neat! You're welcome.

> = License
> Ruby's - Do whatever you want whenever you want, with any part or all of
> this code.

Just  fyi for the future... Submitted rubyquiz code isn't
automatically in the public domain nor automatically under any
particular license. I recommend in the future that you ask the author
before using the code and presenting it publicly.

I don't say this to be a hardass... In particular, with my
submissions, I'm pretty much going to be very lenient and say, "Do
what you like with it." I only say this because potentially there may
be some authors who, for one reason or another, will not want certain
submissions used.

Enough of that...

> - This plugin was created from a solution to the ruby quiz (english
> numbers) by Matthew D Moss.  I modified the code to work as a rails
> plugin and added the to_dollars method.
> - the to_dollars method will work with integers and floats
> - the to_english and to_japaneese methods will only work with integers.
> If you have call these methods on a float, it will be converted to an
> integer before translating.

Some minor comments on my code...

I wasn't particularly happy with the use of "and" in the final
results. It *usually* worked the way I wanted, but not always.

Also, as noted in the comments, my knowledge of counting in Japanese
is somewhat limited. I think it's correct, but could possibly be
improved.

Finally, it is funny that some of the joke comments and strings in the
code are still there... Things like "nothingtoseeheremovealong",
"hello world" and this line:

    x = [('and' if @conjunction and junction)]    # wyf?

... which should be familiar to anyone who watched Schoolhouse Rock growing up.