On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 05:28:21AM +0900, Hal E. Fulton wrote:
> A couple of questions.
>
> 1. Does this contributed code have to be
> intentionally obfuscated? Or just suboptimal?

I think the second is better, at least if by "obfuscation" you mean something
similar to the things that appear in obfuscation contests. Deobfuscating such
programs is a painstaking process of little intellectual value (unless you want
to be a parser when you grow up). Programs that are badly structured are
more interesting (and you are more likely to encounter them in real life).

BTW, the announcement didn't mention anything about that, but I think you
should offer anonymity for "bad programs", if so desired. That might increase
the percentage of "real world" bad code in the contest.

(I think I have some old Perl4 monsters lying around. They should make
interesting contributions after a line-by-line conversion to Ruby.)

// Niklas