On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, David Alan Black wrote:

> 	     ---------------------------------
> 		 CODE AMELIORATION CONTEST
   >snip<
>       As a first, non-competitive step, there will be a submission
>       period for examples of "bad" code.  These examples will then be
>       publicly posted for downloading and rewriting -- amelioration --
>       by contestants.

This post crashed in my mind into this one....

> From: Guillaume Cottenceau <gc / mandrakesoft.com>
> Subject: [ruby-talk:19173] ANN: PLEAC - Programming Language Examples
>    Alike Cookbook
>
> I'd like to announce a (rather) new programming languages project I'm
> maintaining, which is called PLEAC and is located here:
>
> http://pleac.sourceforge.net/
>
> Basically, the aim is to rewrite Perl CookBook's code in other
> programming languages, to:

I'm not in any way accusing Guillaume of having code that needs
ameliorating... I just think Guillaume's work combined with the
contest would provide a good basis for Ruby advocacy.

New Zealand

I'm becoming less and less convinced of humans as rational beings.
I suspect we are merely meme collectors, and the reason meme is only
kept on to help count our change.