On 5/7/06, Louis J Scoras <louis.j.scoras / gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/6/06, Leslie Viljoen <leslieviljoen / gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I "third" that. Gmail is great - just create a filter which keeps all
> > > your Ruby-talk stuff out of the inbox and nothing could be easier. In
> > > fact, I don't know of a better web application than Gmail.
> > >

> I think he was lamenting the fact that there is no way to get a
> threaded view of the conversation in gmail, and I must agree with him
> on this one.  Gmail is nice for personal mail, but it does get
> somewhat unwieldy for larger threads.

Don't know what you mean, Gmail put the whole Sharp Knives and Glue
thread together quite capably - 99 messages or so, showing only the
last few responses I hadn't seen by default, or expanding when asked.

> On 5/6/06, John Gabriele <jmg3000 / gmail.com> wrote:
> > Gmail is great for what it is, but I think the OP was looking for
> > something more durable -- a site like perlmonks where you've got got
> > not only the messages archived, but also tutuorial content and other
> > stuff (like user-owned pages filled with useful links, for example).
> > Besides that, messages there are rated and ranked, and everything is
> > easily searchable.
> >
> > Perlmonks really is a very useful site that's much more than a mailing
> > list. I agree that it'd be great for the Ruby community to have a site
> > like it.
>
> Yeah, you definitely might want to consider it as a total package.  It
> would be awesome to have a comprehensive site for ruby with similar
> material.  I don't think anybody is advocating replacing ruby-talk,
> this would just be an extra resource.

I don't think there's a lack of this stuff on the web, it's just not
all in the same place.
Maybe ruby-lang.org needs to be expanded, or maybe it just needs more
links? Rubygarden is great. It could do with links to the RAA and
Rubyforge though...