> On 5/6/06, Leslie Viljoen <leslieviljoen / gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I "third" that. Gmail is great - just create a filter which keeps all
> > your Ruby-talk stuff out of the inbox and nothing could be easier. In
> > fact, I don't know of a better web application than Gmail.

I think he was lamenting the fact that there is no way to get a
threaded view of the conversation in gmail, and I must agree with him
on this one.  Gmail is nice for personal mail, but it does get
somewhat unwieldy for larger threads.

On 5/6/06, John Gabriele <jmg3000 / gmail.com> wrote:
> Gmail is great for what it is, but I think the OP was looking for
> something more durable -- a site like perlmonks where you've got got
> not only the messages archived, but also tutuorial content and other
> stuff (like user-owned pages filled with useful links, for example).
> Besides that, messages there are rated and ranked, and everything is
> easily searchable.
>
> Perlmonks really is a very useful site that's much more than a mailing
> list. I agree that it'd be great for the Ruby community to have a site
> like it.

Yeah, you definitely might want to consider it as a total package.  It
would be awesome to have a comprehensive site for ruby with similar
material.  I don't think anybody is advocating replacing ruby-talk,
this would just be an extra resource.

> Dunno if I'd call it RubyNuns though. ;)

I kinda like it =)

I don't know about reusing the Everything Engine though.  I haven't
read through the code, but Chromatic (editor of perl.com), is doing a
column[1] on refactoring the engine.  He describes as follows:

    "The Everything Engine is an aging software project that powers Perl Monks,
    Everything 2, and a few other websites. It suffers from poor design and
    maintainiability [sic]."

You might be better off just writing something in ruby from scratch.

[1] http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2006/04/refactoring_everything_day_1.html

--
Lou