John Gabriele wrote:
> On 5/5/06, Eli Bendersky <eliben / gmail.com> wrote:
>> Surely I'm not the only one who feels this way ?
> Ok, ok. I've heard enough... You're hired! :)
>
> My suggestion (for anyone reading this who might like to embark on
> such a project) is to look at what software is available, then decide
> if you'd like to use one of those choices or else if you'd rather roll
> your own. After you've got something running locally that you're happy
> with, find someone who can host it live (you might ask here, when
> you're ready to go live).
>
> Note though, that anyone can put up a customized phpBB. But to get
> people to use it, and to measure up to the mighty perlmonks, you'll
> very probably need something more than that.

For starters, the software that powers Perlmonks itself can be used. It
is freely distributed for non-commercial needs by The Everything
Development Company (http://everydevel.com/), and in fact it also powers
a Java-aimed website named javajunkies.org

It's a Perl / MySQL based CMS. I guess it can be OK to get the website
running, and later embarassed Ruby hackers can rewrite it in Ruby :-)

Eli