"Yukihiro Matsumoto" <matz / ruby-lang.org> wrote:

> In message "[ruby-talk:19016] Re: Perl/Python/Ruby common backend (Perl6)"
>     on 01/08/02, hipster <hipster / xs4all.nl> writes:
>
> |How about researching this further, and writing such a translator +
> |framework? This way, we could take advantage of one of the free, fast,
> |portable, and _mature_ Lisp VMs out there.
>
> I think it's good idea (as a start line at least).  Does somebody know
> such implementation of Lisp VM?

The Mono project FAQ mentions Scheme. Given that Perl, Python, and Smalltalk
reportedly also target the .NET CLI VM, there may be a useful synergy
experience that could be tapped (plus there is a common interest in
supporting Linux versions of this VM and its associated CLR).

(http://www.go-mono.com/faq.html):

# Windows has compilers that target the virtual machine from a number of
# languages: Managed C++, Java Script, Eiffel, Component Pascal, APL, Cobol,
# Oberon, Perl, Python, Scheme, Smalltalk, Standard ML, Haskell, Mercury and
# Oberon.

Conrad