------art_2979_9902207.1146851946424

Don, I thought about it a bit more. Your original question was how to
achieve concurrency. So there are evidently latencies in your system that
you'd like to capture, and my question is: how do these arise? If they come
from the network, then a solution like EventMachine is ideal. If they are
compute-bound, then you should also look at EventMachine, and you should not
be looking at a threaded approach unless you're able to specify
multi-processor hardware. If the latencies are coming from elsewhere in your
local system (such as disk i/o), then you should look at thread pools.

I hope that's helpful. Best of luck
-f