As I have matured, I've become more and more convinced how much louder
actions speak than words. This is most especially true in the world of
open source software.

In the current case, I would suggest that if David is so convinced of
a need for locking down core classes or limiting meta-programming in
Ruby at the Enterprise level, then he should provide some possible
solutions for that in code. I do agree that modification of core
classes and meta-programming can be a source of problems, just like
any powerful language feature. It probably would be nice to be able to
have control over that at the language level.

But I'll be even more convinced if someone showed me some code that
accomplished this and was easy to use instead of telling me it needs
to be done.

I think much of the push-back David experienced in this thread was the
tone of "this really needs to be done", without any offer of actually
taking part in the doing. You just can't tell people what to do on an
open source project. We all get that enough at work, thank you.

I would suggest that David's posts would have much more warmly
received if they were more like this: "Hi guys, I too have seen the
kind of problems talked about in this thread, and I came up with this
little solution for it. Take a look and let me know what you think."
Instead it seems we got: "Yo guys, Ruby is just not ready for the
enterprise, because of X and Y and Z. You guys really need to get on
the ball if you ever expect Ruby to be anything important!"

Ryan