On 5/5/06, Eli Bendersky <eliben / gmail.com> wrote:> Two aspects make Perlmonks great:> 1) It's a *true* forum. With all due respect to RForum powering> "ruby-forum.com", a real forum must at the very least support> hierarchical threading correctly, and allow to post text with simple> formatting, especially for source code.
I haven't spent much time at Perlmonks, but I hate visiting there whensomeone points out something "interesting." It's almost as bad as LtU.
> 2) It is very active, and the vast majority of Perl hackers hang out> there, from the nubies to the prominent leaders of the Perl community.
This is true of ruby-talk. The best place to get an answer about Rubyis on ruby-talk.
> 1) The mailing list - an old-fashioned (at least IMHO) way to> communicate, lacking hierarchy and formatting (try following the> discussion in one of the most recent 50+ message threads).
I have no problem doing that. I use Gmail which makes it easier, but agood threading client helps as well.
> 2) ruby-forum.com - a gateway to the mailing list, which disconnects> from time to time. It's not a true forum, and suffers heavily from being> connected to the maillist, topics being split to "Re:" topics from time> to time, and long discussions are impossible to follow.
I would agree.
> 3) comp.lang.ruby - a mostly-nonfunctional gateway to the list, which in> itself is probably the closest Ruby has to a normal forum, since it's> hierarchical and enjoys the excellent built-in Google search.
*shrug* It's not really hierarchical. It follows the same standardsthat the mailing list does for references.
> When I have a Ruby question, I truly don't know where to ask it, so I> ask everywhere, which may sometime annoy people (on days when the> gateways function). I much prefer the newsgroup, but when the gateway> doesn't work, it is much less read, so answers take a long time in> arriving. Am I the only one with this experience ?
Ask ruby-talk. The mailing list. This is the core that everything elsereflects to.
-austin--Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca