------art_8893_15445110.1146774161601

On 5/4/06, Michael Gorsuch <michael.gorsuch / gmail.com> wrote:

> You may consider installing ruby via fink or compiling from source.  That
> would give you a new ruby environment to work with, without stressing
> about
> an OS rebuild.

If you have a bit of time you should try and figure out what happened before
you reload in case it happens again.

Sorry, I don't have an apple, so you may have to extrapolate what I do here.

Can you start irb apart from the Rails console? If so, or if you can run
another
Ruby program, try a "puts $LOAD_PATH" and see where Ruby is searching.

Here's how I search for the library in the filesystem on Linux:
lesliev@mel:/usr/lib/ruby$ find -iname readline*
./1.8/i486-linux/readline.so

So Ruby can load /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/readline.so because
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux
is in the $LOAD_PATH

You can see what has actually been loaded with $LOADED_FEATURES - and you
can get a list list of all these useful variables by calling
"global_variables" - which I in
turn found with "private_methods". Gotta love irb!

(or I'm sure you could also read a good Ruby reference)

------art_8893_15445110.1146774161601--