On 5/4/06, David Pollak <pollak / gmail.com> wrote:

Emphasis added.

> There are problems with Ruby that make is not ready for enterprise systems.
> These problems have fixes.  Admitting there are problems and admitting that
> __Ruby needs__ to make it into the enterprise will help to address things rather
> than having Ruby wind up in the heap of "coulda-been" systems like Lisp,
> SmallTalk, Objective-C/NextStep/Interface Builder, OS/2 (okay, I hated OS/2,
> but many thought it was great), etc.

I refuse to admit that 'Ruby needs to make it into the enterprise'.  I
don't believe that's true any more than I believe that brainf*ck[1] or
logo[2] 'need' to make it into the world of enterprise apps.

> If __Ruby wants__ to become more that a niche language that's currently
> getting 15 minutes of fame because of Rails, Ruby has to evolve to support
> the needs of enterprise users.

Ruby is a programming language.  It has no wants, or needs.  It seems
that you want to use it for enterprise apps, and you believe it needs
to be changed for that to happen, but you are not Ruby.  This reads
like a case of transference[3].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_programming_language
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transference

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)
The best answer to most questions is "it depends".