On May 4, 2006, at 8:19 AM, David Pollak wrote:

>   - Instiki was written by someone who was not an 'idiot chef' but a
>   skilled Ruby programmer.

I'm pretty sure DHH has claimed publicly that he didn't think we was
a terrific Ruby programmer when he invented Rails and that would have
been after he invented Instiki.

>   - Instiki was written using Rails... the "way" to write web apps in
>   Ruby.

Instiki has been ported to Rails recently.  It use to be a stand-
alone application.  To my knowledge, the port was done by Instiki's
new maintainer, not DHH.

>   - If a non-complex Ruby app written by a skilled Ruby developer
> using
>   standard Ruby tools breaks, how can a large company trust that a
> very
>   complex Ruby program that has passed QA won't fall into the same
> issue if
>   the first user opens the "latest transaction" rather than the
> "account" page
>   first thus causing a different order for class loads.

You have yet to show us your Instiki issue, but I'm pretty sure you
did not claim it was an issue of visiting a certain page caused a
page to break.  I think you claimed that certain installed software
broke Instiki with some careless class hackery.  To me, those are
pretty different issues.

> If I wanted a solution to the wiki issue and I didn't want bugs,
> I'd install
> a PHP or Perl based package.

Right, because Perl is definitely not a dynamic language like Ruby.
It's so readable too, I'm sure a lot less mistakes are made with it.
Good point.

James Edward Gray II