Jeff de Vries wrote:
> Restricting to what is covered in chapters 1-10, how about the
> following?

Thank you Jeff,
Your Code looks great and I think it is exactly what I'm looking for.

Next I will try to answer your question about the Restriction.

The first ten chapters of the book covers
only a few array methods like each,join,last,length,pop.
no partition, no selection or double assignment.
Futhermore we have  if -else,elsif- end, do-end,while-end,puts, gets
(with chomp,downcase),array=[],times(3.times do...)
we have basics like numbers and strings ,variables assignment,
comparison methods (==,!=,<,>...),writing own methods (def- end)

In Chapter 11-14 the author talks about:

reading and writing files, creating classes,YAML,Blocks and Procs
and a hint to other learning resources like Programming Ruby or this
mailing-list...

The book is a great starting point with many exercises.
It is great to learn programming. It's explains Basic 'Thinking-Skills'
of
programming and  how ruby works.

The author provides only one way to do something. This limitation is
great.
I have no problems with the excercises until chapter 10.
And Chapter 11 should be not so hard to understand (hopefully...)

BTW:
The book is the extended Version of this Tutorial:

http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

greetings

Colin