(I was keeping out of this thread, but...)

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 06:58 +0900, David Pollak wrote:
> I'm sorry, but please, go back and read my posts.  I love Ruby.  I think
> Ruby is awesome.  There are parts of Ruby that need improvement.  Some of
> these things need to be improved/fixed before Ruby is ready to compete with
> J2EE or .Net for enterprise systems.  The reason I am spending a lot of time
> hammering on this issue is that I believe Ruby should be the next
> language/system that captures developer mindshare like Java did 10 years
> ago.

How to win friends and influence people, eh? I'm sure ruby could be
improved in some ways, and I'm sure Matz will make any improvements that
fit. But 'fixed' is the wrong word here - if some idiot chef cuts
himself misusing a sharp knife, should the kitchen throw out all the
knives, or just the idiot chef?

Yes there is ruby-based software out there that, through careless
metaprogramming, breaks in combination with other stuff. I guess we've
all been bitten by a subtlety here and there. One of the benefits of
ruby is that a "very, very good programmer" like yourself can jump right
in and fix such broken software if you wish, rather than complaining
that ruby's sharp knives are defective because they're sharp.