------art_39421_31616658.1146584000584

I have a friend that works in PHP all day and enjoys the language quite a
lot. I have been
recommending that he try Ruby, but he is bent on moving to Java because some
of the people he
works with are not good programmers and he thinks he needs a more
restrictive environment
in order to get some sanity in the code.

I have read some posts about Ruby being a sharp knife and shooting yourself
in the eye and
I must admit, I have been burned by these things. My Rails project worked
perfectly until
I uploaded it to Textdrive and since Glue had been installed, the basic
environment had been
altered. By chance, Glue had defined a class with the same name as one of my
Models and
somehow it overrode my class when the project ran. They removed Glue when I
asked and
everything worked again, but it took me two days to find the problem.

So I'd like to ask how many people out there use Ruby in teams - and how
well Ruby has stood
up with everyone doing their own thing. I'd especially like to know how it
goes when members
of the team are not so experienced.

Les

------art_39421_31616658.1146584000584--