Alan M wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a Linux administrator and I use Perl for scripting.
> I do not develop any web applications. My programs are command line
> tools.
>
> At this phase I am thinking to upgrade my programming language to either
> Python or Ruby.
>
> Considering the fact that I won¡Çt develop any web application, Which one
> would be a better choice for me Perl or Ruby?

Well, I don't know anything about Python and not a whole heck of a lot
about Ruby. I've been using Perl for fairly complex "scripts" for almost
ten years now. Like another poster on this thread, I got tired of trying
to manage large "awk" scripts and wanted a language that made it at
least possible to write structured readable programs. That turned out to
be Perl 4.

If I were starting this project or set of projects today, I'd use Ruby.
It's much better designed for objects than what's been tacked on to
Perl. I don't have any pressing need to rewrite my few thousand lines of
Perl into Ruby (or Python), and what I don't do in Perl is usually
number crunching that I do in R.

So questions for you:

1. Do you just want to learn a new language, or is there something
you've found Perl weak at?

2. Is readability of your code by others important? If so, would these
others be better off if you stuck with Perl, or migrated to Python or Ruby?

3. Have you looked at Perl 6? I must admit I haven't, and really don't
plan to. I'm happy with the current mix of Perl 5 (with my Perl 4 coding
style) and R, although there is one application I have coming up that's
a natural fit for Rails, and if I can sell it to the bean counters and
nay-sayers, that's what I plan to use.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com