carlo wrote:
} i dislike the use of 'end' (just about the only think i *don't* like
in
} ruby). so, since everybody is saying that this is just a matter of
} taste, why won't this work:
[...]
} in other words, i'm more comfortable with {} coming from C,C++, & C#
so
} what are the precise syntax rules for substituting {} for 'end'? is
} there anything wrong with how i structured my code above? I keep
getting
} syntax errors & "odd number list for Hash" errors, & i'm pretty sure
it
} has something to do with my syntax, since both of these work in their
} original form (using 'end'). obviously, ruby thinks i'm trying to
create
} a hash. so, how can i use {} instead of 'end' w/o confusing ruby?

In general, the answers you've been getting are along the lines of "you
can't do that" or "that isn't the Ruby way" and, strictly speaking, both
are accurate. That said, there's sort of a way to do it for methods, at
least:

class << Object
  alias defm define_method
end

class Foo
  defm(:bar) { |baz|
    puts baz
  }
end

x = Foo.new
x.bar('Whee!')

So, yeah, it isn't perfect, but if you *really* want that C syntax feel,
that's about as close as you're going to get.

> Thanks!
--Greg