Hmm. The only thing that turned me off to Emacs was the
weird command names--and probably the lisp-ness, had I
gotten close enough to it to get into that.

Which gets me thinking...

Ruby is Lisp-like...Emacs is based on Lisp...
There really ought to be an editor based on Ruby...

...it could start with new user interface semantics
    that adhere to the standards that have evolved
    over the last 35 years

...that would make it easy to use right from the start

...it could use Ruby, and be extended with Ruby, so
    it could be customized and evolved using the
    rather terrific language that Ruby is

So much to code, so little time...
:_)