I specifically need both date and time. I find it strange that a
modern language like Ruby has this limitation. Looking at the
documentation I find no mention of this.

To mee, this is a dangerous bug. People developing applications may
not have thought about testing dates well into the future. The Time
module needs an update to cope with a wider range of data. C# for
example, handles values ranging from 12:00:00 midnight, January 1,
0001 Anno Domini (Common Era) to 11:59:59 P.M., December 31, 9999 A.D.
(C.E.).

Regards,

Peter Krantz
http://www.peterkrantz.com