chiaro scuro wrote:
>>> Does anyone know how to convert a block to a string representation of
>>> the code it contains?
>> Read the source file?
> how would I know what is the source file and lines associated with a block?
>
> I was really hoping to get the info from the runtime, but I guess that
> what you suggest could also be a pragmatic option.

OK, here are some practical options. (Sorry for the previous comment. I
was trying to dig this stuff up from my memory, but Quiz 34 came up
instead.)

#1: You can store a Proc with its code if you're willing to forgo
closure of the the environment and to use syntax like this:

method_name %{
  proc_code
}

See Ruby Quiz 38: SerializableProc - http://rubyquiz.com/quiz38.html

#2: You can get it from (I think) the runtime, using ZenHacks'
Proc.to_ruby. See Ryan Davis' post in response to the same quiz:
http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/148082

Cheers,
Dave