Nathan Olberding wrote:
> (I thought I posted this question just a bit ago but I can't find it
> now. Sorry if this is a double-posting)
>
> I have some strings in a CGI script of mine that will sometimes contain
> double-quotation marks (""). These behave normally when I use them
> directly (i.e., puts str will return a string that contains quotes just
> fine), but misbehave when I try to concatenate them with other strings
> (i.e., puts str + "other stuff").

I'm not seeing this:
irb(main):004:0> s = "ab\"c\""
=> "ab\"c\""
irb(main):005:0> puts s
ab"c"
=> nil
irb(main):006:0> puts s + "other stuff"
ab"c"other stuff
=> nil
irb(main):007:0>
> I've seen this sort of "magic quotes" problem in other languages, but
> I'm having a lot of trouble getting this to work. I've tried several
> variations on gsub, as well as a couple of other things, but none seem
> to work.
>
> Is there a way to work around this
I'm guessing this is really an escaping problem.  You're trying to
generate html without doing any escaping?  Try viewing the source of
your generated page -- the quotes are no doubt all there just as you
output them, but they're probably interfering with html attributes.

Luke