(I thought I posted this question just a bit ago but I can't find it
now. Sorry if this is a double-posting)

I have some strings in a CGI script of mine that will sometimes contain
double-quotation marks (""). These behave normally when I use them
directly (i.e., puts str will return a string that contains quotes just
fine), but misbehave when I try to concatenate them with other strings
(i.e., puts str + "other stuff").

I've seen this sort of "magic quotes" problem in other languages, but
I'm having a lot of trouble getting this to work. I've tried several
variations on gsub, as well as a couple of other things, but none seem
to work.

Is there a way to work around this?