Jim Freeze wrote:
> If the Posix functional feature of combining options is turned off, then
> all three may be combined in the same set of options. CommandLine
> prefers this since it doesn't want to limit how you define options.
>
> But, if we turn the Posix combining feature on, we have the following
> possible combinations:
> gnu, xtools      - ok
> gnu, posix       - ok
> posix, xtools   - illegal
> gnu, posix, xtools - illegal
>
> To implement this change, application.rb and optionparser.rb will need
> to be
> modified (and possibly option.rb).
>
> So, please help me out here on the interface.
> Most people will use gnu style options with the posix style short
> options.
> If the options list only contains gnu and posix style options, should
> posix
> be on by default? How should posix be turned on and off?

I can only speak to my experience but POSIX and gnu seem to be far and
away
the most common styles.  I find I seldom start X apps from the command
line,
 usually they're launched from a GUI menu.

It may break all kinds of things but my preference would be:

1) full support of POSIX flags, singularly and combined
2) gnu's --longwords.  Unambiguious abbreviations supported if not in
 conflict with #1
3) xtool support would require an enable.  Once enabled, we have the
current situation with POSIX combinatons "broken"

Admittedly, not a elegant solution.  I feel POSIX should be 'ON' by
default and xtools must be enabled if -longword options are required.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to use the current library. Its simple and very
flexible.  Thanks again for the clarification.

pb