Of course, you can expect a bias on this mailing list, but I will
give my two cents.

Perl: Great for quick, concise scripts you may need to hack together.
Ugly syntax, but beautiful functionality.

Python: Not much experience here, so I can only say that I hear it is
pretty powerful, but a bit annoying to use, according to some.

Ruby: Good for those who like to make elegant solutions to their
problems. Tends to make readable programs that can be easily modified
later. More powerful than Perl (IMHO), but not as concise. Definitely
is the most enjoyable language to work with on a regular basis as it
does not hinder you with weird syntax or restrictions, for the most
part.

- Jake McArthur