On Thu, 02 Aug 2001  03:28:44 +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> |There is a thread about using .NET's CLR as a backend for Ruby, but how
> |about using Perl6's backend?
>
> I'm not sure.  Basic object model of two languages are quite different
> (basically untyped, sometimes statically typed language and
> dynamically but strongly typed language).  But if Perl6 people can
> work with Python, probably they can do same thing with us.
>
> Currently Perl6 VM is vaporware (so is Rite).  So we have to wait and
> see how it goes.

I conjecture that Ruby texts can be translated into equivalent Lisp
texts, given a Lisp framework that provides fundamental Ruby
semantics.

How about researching this further, and writing such a translator +
framework? This way, we could take advantage of one of the free, fast,
portable, and _mature_ Lisp VMs out there.

        Michel