On 4/24/06, Eric Hodel <drbrain / segment7.net> wrote:
> On Apr 24, 2006, at 6:00 AM, Robert Feldt wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > If you read
> >
> > http://codespeak.net/pipermail/pypy-dev/2006q2/003036.html
> >
> > right after reading about and checking out
> >
> > http://www.mike-austin.com/inertia/
> >
> > do you also think about an effort to use the latter to create
> > something in the line of the former to give something like in the
> > subject? ;)
> >
> > Comments? Good? Bad? Worth the effort? What about moving FreeRIDE onto
> > something like Inertia? Much more freedom in what can be
> > visualized/done since there is no GUI framework restricting us...
>
> What do you envision when you say "Squeak like"?

I'm not yet at the stage where it is time to set down the spec... ;)

> In the context of the second link it looks like you want something
> like persistent irb with a fancier editor.
>
> If you want Squeak's Ruby written in Ruby with a cool editor and
> persistent everything so you can change it all then help out with
> Metaruby.

I guess here I was more meaning Squeak-like in the form of Morphic
(Squeak GUI widgets) in Ruby with a OpenGL backend but other parts of
Squeak may apply.

When it comes to implementing Ruby itself I am interested in that and
try to follow your progress from time to time (I find it a bit
confusing with the name MetaRuby though since Matju used that way back
in 2000-2002? Or are you reusing code/ideas?). I haven't realized your
are also interested in the IDE side of things. Will check.

Regards,

Robert