On 4/24/06, Robert Feldt <robert.feldt / gmail.com> wrote:

> I could be a mentor but I don't really know what it entails. Any
> links? (Better yet maybe if Mike wants to be a mentor but maybe you
> can have several?)

http://code.google.com/soc/mentorfaq.html

Regarding Ilmari's reservations about re-inventing GUI components
(which has been done too much already), I certainly see your point and
agree in many ways. But if you think about it game programmers do this
all the time, and it works because of the focus involved (they only
need certain things in the game.)

I think if the same can be applied in this scenario, where the first
focus is simply an all-encompassing Ruby programming system, a la
Squeak, things could be more simple. Things like a complex HTML
rendering just would not be needed. Because of the nature of the
entire environment, the editor may not have to be as powerful as VIM
or Emacs or <insert your favorite editor here>. Another point would be
that while all these GUI components already exist in various
frameworks, none are pure Ruby. A pure Ruby GUI framework would
probably be much simpler and allow for some true innovation, at least
with the Ruby world. It would be easier to play around with UI
concepts in such an environment.

Ryan