Ilmari,

On a related note: Since you have been into Ruby and OpenGL stuff
before (librend, right?) what are your thoughts on the main
event/drawing loop? Inertia currently takes quite a large percentage
of my CPU time (I could get down to about 15% without noticeable lag
in the UI); I guess Mike has not been considering optimizations much
at this stage. If you do things in OpenGL will it update only the
portions that need updating or what are some different strategies for
optimizing the drawing? Care to enlighten us? But maybe in librend
it's not a problem cause you use all the cpu time you can get for
better frame rates? ;) ;)

On the widgets-are-much-work question: Also remember that much code is
already out there and we can base things on that. Squeak, other widget
kits etc. For an editor there are also several pure-Ruby offerings out
there that can be used (Simon had AEditor, there is a ruby-vim/ruvim)
etc.

Thanks,

Robert