On 4/24/06, Ilmari Heikkinen <ilmari.heikkinen / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 4/24/06, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood / gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4/24/06, Robert Feldt <robert.feldt / gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Comments? Good? Bad? Worth the effort? What about moving FreeRIDE onto
> > > something like Inertia? Much more freedom in what can be
> > > visualized/done since there is no GUI framework restricting us...
> >
> > I've had thoughts that SDL could be used for a "native" Ruby GUI, and
> > this just proves that it is entirely possible, if not a good idea.
> > Certainly within the context of a self-contained "Squeak-like"
> > programming environment, it makes sense. Adding OpenGL into the mix
> > just sweetens the pot.
> >
> > It would be nice if we could build off of Mike's work on Intertia, but
> > if that isn't possible, we at least have his work as a
> > proof-of-concept, and 1500 lines of Ruby code isn't too bad for what
> > Inertia can do.
>
> I don't want to rain on your parade but
> re-implementing GUI widgets is a lot of work.
> Take a simple text editing box for instance:
> that's one vim (or emacs) worth of code right there.

I agree it is lots of work but the Editor widget in Inertia is
currently 230 LOC including empty lines. Granted it has only very
basic functionality but getting to a useful state cannot be too hard.

> Not to mention HTML renderers.

Yes, there are many hard stuff out there but look at it this way
instead: It would be a great vehicle for GUI innovation. For apps
where the standard widgets are the way to go maybe this is not the
right framework. But what about LiveUpdatableGraphs etc? Where are
they in standard widget kits? etc...

> Integrating kparts would be a way (
>   no idea how doable that is though,
>   ie. how to render a kpart to a texture and
>   translate input events for it.
> )

Sounds interesting. What is kparts?

Regards,