I'm currently looking for a data storage backend for a little pet project
of mine. The catch is - two systems are running the software and need to
be able to access data (r/w), and it needs to continue function, if either
of the two goes down (i.e. just putting a DB on one of the two isn't going
to help).

It doesn't need to be ultra-high performance or anything (peak load would
likely be around a dozen accesses a minute).

So far I've looked at postgres (and pg_cluster), which doesn't seem to
fail-over/recover all that well.

Mysql clusters seem to need three hosts (I'm stuck with two).

So, does anyone know of a free DB that could handle this?

Alternatively - does rinda offer persistence / fault-tolerance?

....any other contenders?    (doesn't need to be sql; the data structures
are not too complex)

Benedikt