On Apr 19, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Weytens, Randy J. wrote:

> I'm attempting to compile Ruby 1.8.4 on an AIX 5.2 OS.  I'm ran
> ./configure, then make, and got this error:
>
> # make
>
>         gcc -g -O2  -DRUBY_EXPORT  -I. -I.  -c array.c

  <....snip...>

>         gcc -g -O2  -DRUBY_EXPORT  -I.
>          gcc main.o  libruby-static.a -ldl -lcrypt -lm   -o
> miniruby -g
> -O2  -DRUBY_EXPORT  -brtl
>
> gcc: `-b' must come at the start of the command line
>
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

There is an extra -brtl in the Makefile for LDFLAGS under AIX and you
need gmake, but those are just the first of the problems you will
encounter.

Its a bit rough getting Ruby to compile on AIX; however, it is possible.

I put a HOWTO together for it and posted it some weeks ago for the
Visual Age for C compiler, but I recently updated it for compilation
with gcc, so here is the link again:  http://homepage.mac.com/
cjgibbons/rubyonaixhowto/t1.html

Hope this helps, let me know if it doesn't work as described.

Christopher Gibbons