Let's start with a silly question to warm you up :-))

I know that the @ sign in Ruby is reserved for instances and class
variables but I was wondering if someone knows if it is possible to say
something like:

myvar = @"A sample string"

and have the @ class method called (without having to specify the class
name before the @ sign) and do something on the sample string before
assigning it to the myvar variable. If it's not possible with the @ sign
can I do that with another sign or some other kind of specific and short
notation.

Thanks for your help

PS: For those of you who know Objective C and the GNUstep environment
you probably see what I want to achieve. In this environment saying
@"string" has the same effect as saying NSString.new("string") in Ruby
and I'd like to replicate this behavior in Ruby

--
Laurent JULLIARD - XR&T Technology and Alliances Office -  Open Source
team