On 4/19/06, Logan Capaldo <logancapaldo / gmail.com> wrote:

> > As much as the idea is initially appealing, I find it kind of elitist.
> >  What would be nice is if there was an archive where ruby-talk threads
> > can be rated, and authors given 'experience points' etc, but would be
> > a 3rd party setup, rather than something built into the system.
> >

> I'm not really a perler either but I have browsed  perlmonks
> occasionally. I don't get the impression that they are particularly
> elitist, many of the questions posted to the front page are often
> "nuby" type ones, and just like on the ruby-talk ML they often
> generate esoteric discussions among the answers ;)

I just think that if ranking is to be done at all, it should be by an
independant third party.  When it's incorporated into the system, it
becomes more about 'leveling up' than it is about the topics for
enough people to make it a bit unpleasant.

I used to really enjoy perlmonks when I was big into perl, btw, but
it's not as nice as I've found this list to be.  :)