Hi --

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Ryan Leavengood wrote:

> On 4/19/06, John Gabriele <jmg3000 / gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> With Perl, they've got comp.lang.perl, but there's also Perlmonks.
>> Perlmonks has a system where you can rate posts (which are helpfully
>> displayed nested), and gain "experience points" if your posts get
>> rated well. They also have fastidious admins who remove trollish
>> postings (if any). Perlmonks is an *amazingly* helpful place for
>> Perlers. They keep that monastery clean. ;)
>
> I've never been a Perler myself, but hearing about this makes me want
> to be one (except for the language, LOL.) Would it be terrible to
> create a Ruby equivalent of this? Would that result in too much
> dilution of the community and maybe result in segregated communities
> (experts on "Rubymonks", the rabble on ruby-lang?) I mean if it has
> worked in the Perl world.......

I've always hated ranking people and creating hierarchies in online
communities (and most other contexts).  I also deeply deplore the fact
that a name was chosen that denotes, without ambiguity, maleness on
the part of the participants; but that's another issue.

My years in the Ruby community have really confirmed me in my belief
that the ranking stuff isn't necessary.  I'd see it as a digression or
step backwards, personally.

David

--
David A. Black (dblack / wobblini.net)