On 4/19/06, TRANS <transfire / gmail.com> wrote:

> Please consider that one of the long standing triumphs of this list
> and the Ruby community is that it has never been a "RTFM" kind of
> place. And I would prefer it say that way --I don't mind answering a
> nuby question now and then.

I don't think anyone is saying comp.lang.ruby should go away.  I used
it for over a year before I switched to the list.  I think that the
problem is, we've got three principle entry points that all empty into
a single sink where if they were distinct, they would still survive
and develop their own personalities.

I don't know about other USENET groups.  Are these mail gateways
common?  If they are, then maybe we're just doing the normal thing.
If they aren't, maybe there is a reason why they aren't, especially
when both seem to have the critical mass necessary to co-exist
peacefully without being tied together.

However, I am *much* more concerned about ruby-forum than I am about
comp.lang.ruby.  I think the signal to noise ratio has rapidly
dimished with this addition.   However, i do think the interface is
beautiful.  Maybe it could just be an archive, and replace or merge
with scat.rb ?