On Apr 19, 2006, at 3:07 PM, Ryan Leavengood wrote:

> On 4/19/06, Eric Hodel <drbrain / segment7.net> wrote:
>>
>> The last thing I need is two copies of every message in my mailbox.
>>
>> I wish the gateway would just go away.  I always see an increase in
>> the signal to noise ratio when the gateway goes down.
>>
>> I also wish the ruby forum gateway would go away, it has reduced the
>> signal to noise ratio a bunch, and a bunch of people post without
>> context making it impossible to figure out what they're talking
>> about.
>
> I'm normally one to promote free speech, but I have to say Eric makes
> a good point here, and I agree. This mailing list has gotten so out of
> hand I have almost 2000 unread messages, and I'm pretty anal about
> keeping up to date on all my email. It would be well over 2000 if I
> hadn't made a concerted effort to keep up with today's mail.

I'm not saying either the newsgroup, mailing list or forum should go
away, I just think they should be allowed to develop their own
separate personalities.

> I think the extra effort it takes to actually sign up for the mailing
> list and send an email to the right address is a good thing, as it
> tends to increase the signal to noise ratio, as Eric says.
>
> When any Joe can pop into the newsgroup or the Ruby Forum and send a
> question in 5 seconds, they are less apt to stop and ask themselves:
> "how might I figure this out for myself?" There are years of archives
> containing answers to probably 80% of what is asked here everyday, yet
> no one seems to search. Part of the problem might be that the scat.rb
> interface leaves a bit to be desired (and is slow for anyone not in
> Japan it seems...at least for me), but we also have Google Groups (but
> of course that depends on the gateway for all messages to be
> archived.)

I've found scat.rb clumsy but accurate.  The biggest problem seems to
be nobody knows it exists.  Google with the correct site: is also
very effective, but nobody remembers that either.

> I'm not sure what the solution is here, beyond extremely smart,
> SPAM-like filtering in our mail clients to cut down on the junk we
> have to read. On that note: how do most people on this list cope with
> all the messages? Because it seems like reading all of them would be
> at least a half-time job (I don't know, 4 hours or so a day.) I just
> don't have time for that, but then there is the concern over missing
> the few gems that actually provide good information. Maybe if there
> was a Slashdot-like system for rating threads somewhere, then if you
> waited until the end of the day you could just filter on highly rated
> threads or messages and just read those, marking the rest as read as
> well.
>
> Any other ideas?

I've been using IMAPCleanse [1] as part of my email management
solution.  Once I have a large enough body of flagged messages I'll
write a per-mailbox bayesian filter to automatically highlight the
messages and threads I should be reading.  What I'm interested in now
isn't what I was interested in two years ago and probably isn't what
most people are interested in.

[1] http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org/IMAPCleanse/

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com