On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 08:48:43PM +0900, Bil Kleb wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The NASA Open Source Agreement,
>
>  http://opensource.org/licenses/nasa1.3.php
>
> that I'm being required to use, has a clause (3f) about at
> least making an attempt to have the user register.
>
> Is there a way to at least get a typeout during gem install?

It is possible to abuse the support for building extensions in order
to show a message (or do anything else for the matter), by placing
arbitrary code in an extconf.rb file and creating a bogus Makefile (just
so that RubyGems sees it and doesn't report an error)[1]. The code you
place in extconf.rb will often be run with euid=root.

[1] this assumes that make (or nmake on mswin builds) is available unless you
change ENV["make"]; otherwise, you could (ab)use the Rake support for the same
ends.