On 4/14/06, Bryan Duxbury <bryan.duxbury / gmail.com> wrote:
> Patrick Hurley wrote:
> > On 4/14/06, Bryan Duxbury <bryan.duxbury / gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > Mongrel is great, but this problem sounds like a mysql driver issue
> > more than web brick. Is it possible to get a stack trace (OS not Ruby)
> > when it segfaults? My guess is that the build of the binary mysql
> > driver does not match the build of the ruby binary (difference in
> > compiler version, etc). You could try building everything yourself or
> > try grabbing a complete set like instant rails.
> >
> > pth
>
> How would I go about getting an OS stack trace? Do you have any
> experience doing that on Windows?
>
> --

Been a long time since I used 2000, but do you have Visual C or any
other just in time debugger? Most of those allow you to catch a
segfaulting processes and grab the stack trace. I know under XP you
can actually get that info from the XP error dialog that XP wants to
send to Microsoft, but I think they added that for XP. Worst case go
to http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx and
grab windbg.exe and attach it to ruby.exe after you start webrick. We
don't need much detail, if it is dying in mysql.so or something
similar then you know it is the mysql driver, etc.

Again my expectation is that you are using some binary extension that
was compiled just a little bit differently than the version of ruby
you are using. For example one was compiled using VC6 and the other
with VC.NET (or whatever they are calling it now). This often works,
but it also can lead to difficult to diagnose bugs in discrepancies
between the run time libraries (C not Ruby).

Good luck
pth

p.s. I have run webrick and mongrel with mssql and postgres binary
drivers under Win2000 (server) without any trouble (not that I was
happy about it :-)