Actually, I ran on 1.8.2 for a long time, too. The errors had exactly
the same symptoms. I'm really disappointed that the various Mysql
libraries that offer to fix this problem don't seem to get it fixed.

Would it help if I somehow figured out how to compile my own, which
would be linked against the libraries on my machine? Could that be the
issue? I'm loathe to try and compile stuff where I don't have to (I like
Ruby for a reason...), but I'm getting a little irked that I have to
forgo using my nice desktop with dual monitors and use my laptop
instead.